The AYSO National Referee Program has 5 levels of referee certifications. If you are a new referee you will need either the U-8 Official or Regional Referee training depending on your child’s playing level. The remaining certification levels build progressively toward the skills needed for the higher age-group matches. For details on each certification level – see the corresponding section following the table.
The table below shows the certification level desired for each age-group. Simply find your current level in the left-hand column, the follow the row across until it intersects with the column representing your child’s playing level.
Training Provided by Regions 43/45 in Los Altos/Mountain View
In cooperation with Region 45 (Mountain View), a variety of entry-level (U-8 Official and Regional Referee) courses are offered each Fall to ensure that volunteers are prepared for the new season. The options and course descriptions are in the section that follows. See the training schedule below for current offerings.
Note: All volunteers must also take (only once – not annually) the online Safe Haven and Concussion Awareness training.
Training Options / Descriptions
- To support referee needs for U-8 matches you will need to complete the U-8 Official training. Region 43 offers 2 options for this training:
- U-8 Official Online Companion: This is a new, local, course offering for the Fall 2016 Season – please contact the Region Referee Administrator (email@example.com) for registration information. It consists of the standard basic referee online course + an in-classroom compoonent: This approach combines the ~1.5 hour Basic Referee Online course with a ~1.5 hour classroom U-8 Official Companion course to review topics and complete the written test (The RRA will explain the steps required to register and complete the online portion before you attend the companion course). Upon completion, you will receive your equipment and you will be certified to referee U-8 matches.
- U-8 Official: This is the standard 100% in-classroom course (3.5 hours) for first-time officials, typically offered 1 weekend morning or 1 weeknight. The class ends with a written test, after which you receive your referee equipment (unless you are also taking the upgrade class below) and you will be certified to referee U-8 matches.
- To support referee needs for U-10 (and U-12) matches you will need to complete the Basic (Regional) Referee training. Region 43 offers 3 options for this training, depending on your situation and needs:
- If you are already a U-8 Official, you can take the U-8 Official to Basic Referee Upgrade. This course builds on the U-8 Official training, focused on the additional skills you will need for U-10/U-12 matches. It is structured as a 100% in-classroom course: ~6 hours classroom, typically offered 1 weekend afternoon (immediately following the U-8 Official training) or 2 weeknights.
- If you are a new referee with no prior training or certification, you will need one of the following:
- Basic Referee Online Companion: This is the combined online / classroom offering for volunteers that prefer a more flexible training option and consists of the Basic Referee Online course + Basic Referee Online Companion classroom course: This approach combines the ~1.5 hour Basic Referee Online course with a ~3.5 hour classroom Basic Referee Companion course to review topics and take the test. Upon completion, you will receive your equipment and you will be certified to referee U-10/U-12 matches.
- U-8 Official + Basic Referee Upgrade: This is the 100% in-classroom offering that combines the U8 Official training, followed by the Basic Referee Upgrade. These two courses are typically offered on a single weekend day and last approximately 9 hours end-to-end, including the written test. Upon completion, you will receive your equipment and you will be certified to referee U-10/U-12 matches.
We also offer the following course at least once each season for referees interested in supporting the U-14 level matches:
- Intermediate Referee: This is the preferred level for referees who need to upgrade to officiate U-14 games. It is structured as a 100% in-classroom course: ~9 hours classroom, typically offered over 3 weeknights, and requires a follow-on observation before certification is complete.
2016 Referee Training Calendar for Regions 43/45 (Los Altos/Mountain View)
|Aug 13 (Sat)||8:30 am – 11:30 am||U8 Official||Springer Multi||201601962|
|Aug 20 (Sat)||8:30 am – 11:30 am||Basic Online Companion||Springer Multi||201601963|
|Aug 21 (Sun)||1:00 pm – 3:00 pm||Returning Referee Refresher||Covington Multi||Strongly Recommended!|
|Aug 24 (Wed)||6:30 pm – 9:30 pm||U8 Official||Springer Multi||201601964|
|Aug 25 (Thu)||6:30 pm – 9:30 pm||Basic Online Companion||Springer Multi||201601965|
|Aug 27 (Sat)||8:30 am – 11:30 am||U8 Official||Covington Multi||201601966|
|Aug 27 (Sat)||12:00 pm – 1:00 pm||Field Training||Covington Fields||Recommended|
|Aug 27 (Sat)||1:00 pm – 6:00 pm||U8 to Basic Ref. Upgrade||Covington Multi||201601967|
|Aug 30 (Tue)||6:30 pm – 9:30 pm||Intermediate Referee Part 1||Springer Multi||201601969|
|Aug 31 (Wed)||6:30 pm – 9:30 pm||Intermediate Referee Part 2||Springer Multi||201601969|
|Sep 1 (Thu)||6:30 pm – 9:30 pm||Intermediate Referee Part 3||Springer Multi||201601969|
|Sep 7 (Wed)||6:30 pm – 9:30 pm||U8 Official||Springer Multi||201604467|
|Sep 8 (Thu)||6:30 pm – 9:30 pm||Basic Online Companion||Covington Multi||201604470|
|Sep 11 (Sun)||8:30 am – 11:30 am||U8 Official||Springer Multi||201604472|
|Sep 11 (Sun)||12:00 pm – 1:00 pm||Field Training||Springer Fields||Recommended|
|Sep 11 (Sun)||1:00 pm – 6:00 pm||U8 to Basic Ref. Upgrade||Springer Multi||201604474|
|Sep 21 (Wed)||6:00 pm – 7:30 pm||U-8 Official Online Companion
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org for details
|Sep 22 (Thu)||6:00 pm – 6:00 pm||Basic Referee Online Companion||Springer ART ROOM||201604999|
Advanced Referee Training
All of the basic courses, as well as the Intermediate Referee and Advanced Referee training clinics, are offered by nearby regions as well as by AYSO Area 2A (see the training calendar at www.ayso2a.org/calendar).